According to the findings of the NPR Audience Insight & Research division, “public radio reaches one of the most educated and affluent audiences in radio”.
Our audience is educated, affluent, influential and discerning.
Michigan Radio listeners are educated.
As a whole, NPR listeners are very well educated and look for opportunities to learn throughout life.
- 208% more likely than the average American to have completed a graduate degree
- 87% of listeners also agree that being well educated is very important to them
Michigan Radio listeners are committed to arts and culture
- 226% more likely than the average American to contribute financially to arts/culture programs
- 88% have attended a dance performance in the past year
Michigan Radio listeners are affluent.
As a result of their high educational attainment, NPR listeners tend to earn more than the average American.
- The median household income of NPR listeners is $102,300, which is 44% higher than the average American household
- Our audience has the expendable income to invest, make large purchases and travel
- They are also heavily involved in making purchasing decisions in their workplace – 22% are managers or professionals involved in one or more business purchases totaling over $1,000.
- 81% of NPR listeners agree that “if a product is made by a company I trust, I’ll buy it even if it is slightly more expensive”.
Michigan Radio listeners are influential.
Defined by Mediamark, an “Influential” is a person who “participates in three or more public activities that demonstrate and uncommon engagement with their community”. Public radio listeners are three times as likely to fit the “Influential” description. NPR Audience & Research states: “NPR reaches one of the highest concentrations of key community leaders in all of media”.
Michigan Radio listeners are discerning.
While listeners of other radio stations in the area also listen to Michigan Radio, a large portion of our listeners listen to our station exclusively. Michigan Radio reaches an average of 19% of the top commercial radio station’s audience in Detroit. However, the top commercial radio stations in Detroit reach an average of only 4% of Michigan Radio’s audience.
What This Means for Your Organization
Through sponsorship of Michigan Radio, your message will be heard by the people described above. People who are able to buy your products, contribute to your charity, visit your lectures and exhibitions, and most importantly, encourage their friends and families to join in. And if that’s still not enough, remember that your contribution will help us create award winning programming that keeps our listeners informed and educated. The next time you hear something great on Michigan Radio, you can proudly say that your support made it happen.